[EEG] near-infrared optical spectroscopy for brain scanning?

Jean Rintoul jean.rintoul at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 05:04:16 UTC 2009

Yeah, I think this is the same as the optical topography systems I saw at
the Human Brain Mapping Conference. It provides a surface map of your brains
hemodynamic response to about 2-5cm in depth(varying dependent on
skull/brain tissue density and you won't necessarily know the depth you are
looking at), but gives no 3D voxel type resolution like an MRI. The systems
currently have a minimum distance between emitter diodes of 2cm, making for
minimal resolution. There are some systems(125K was a price tag somewhere)
which combine Optical and EEG together in one headset which would be pretty
cool and give extra information.

http://www.hitachi-medical.co.jp/info/opt-e/index.html

Optical topography seems like a great dry electrode solution, where you
could really make headsets which were easy to put on and off, and look
fashionable! Could be great for making BCI's if enough information could be
got out of them.

This seems like it would be an exciting thing to experiment with. I don't
know, but could a pulse oximeter be modified to do this?

Jean