[Neuro] Eyes-open EEG stimulation via the ear canals

Sai noisebridge at saizai.com
Thu Oct 11 20:05:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Mike Schachter
<mschachter at eigenminds.com> wrote:
> Just to be clear - I don't want to discourage Mr. Perry or anybody
> from messing around with the brains of themselves or others! EEG and
> light therapy are fun things to play with. But it's not ok to cite
> questionable papers as scientific evidence and then ramble on about
> patenting things. There's no need to be so defensive if your goal is
> to actually find something that works.

Quite so.

My objection is not to experimentation, but to
a) selling a medical product that claims to do something with zero
good evidence (that's fraud of a particularly despicable kind)
b) claiming that research supports your claims when it doesn't (e.g.
not understanding the difference between optogenetics and naturally
present receptors)
c) people deluding themselves with bogus control trials etc — cf
mangetic bracelets and homeopathy, which are marketed using these
tactics

If it *weren't* selling a product, and merely experimenting with weird
ideas that might not pan out, that's fine. That's what prototypes are
for, and this can be done using off the shelf equipment rather than
some expensive in-ear lights.

- Sai