[Bio] Fwd: DIYbio Continental Congress 2011

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:06:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Rikke Rasmussen
<rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to sign Biobridge up for this DIYbio congress and would like to
> nominate a couple of us to go - any volunteers?

I'd like to volunteer! I was planning on attending the London
congress, representing the Copenhagen DIYbio space, but I'm not sure I
can find the funds for a return trip to London right now.

Also, apologies for missing the meeting last night. I had to crank out
a conference article for another project over the weekend and had
little sleep since Friday. My excuse is that the other project is
kinda sorta related, and let me just blatantly pimp that project right
here:

  http://wiki.uprimer.org/

I know we are getting close to deadline. The following features will
be ready Monday (some already are):

  Web-gui:
    Receive data from probes, store to database, plot graphs for each probe.
    Organize received data from multiple BioBoards into separate projects.
    Real-time plotting.
    Plotting of data from different probes on the same graph.

Am I missing anything that we need to have done by the competition deadline?

One more thing: I'm applying to speak at the Chaos Communications Camp
near Berlin this summer, on the topic of synthetic biology and diybio,
and I think it'd be cool if I could use that opportunity (assuming I'm
accepted) to show off the BioBoard (with an obligatory shout out the
fine people who developed it of course!). A really nice demo would be
if we could show live graphs of two batches of the same brew, started
at the same time in different parts of the world, both using local
ingredients. This would demonstrate international cross-hackerspace
collaborative bio research ("how much do geographical variations in
otherwise identical ingredients influence yeast growth?"). I'm sure I
could get the Copenhagen biohackers to set it up, so we just need an
extra BioBoard kit and someone who has a bit of experience with
beer-brewing to start a batch at Noisebridge around the beginning of
August. Just an idea :-)

--
Marc Juul