[Bio] Fwd: Re: [GGHC] And the results for Semi Finalists are...

Rikke Rasmussen rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:55:24 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Achille Bianchi" <achillesbianchis at gmail.com>
Date: May 10, 2011 2:37 AM
Subject: Re: [GGHC] And the results for Semi Finalists are...
To: <hackerspacechallenge at agentsilverfox.com>

You all rule!!! Congratulations!
Achille Bianchi

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitch Altman <mitch at CornfieldElectronics.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 00:01:23
To: <hackerspacechallenge at agentsilverfox.com>
Subject: [GGHC] And the results for Semi Finalists are...

Hello to all of the amazing hackers who've participated in this
Great Global Hackerspace Challenge!

In the end, 27 hackerspaces participated from 5 (out of the 7)
continents on the planet.  And all of your projects have a lot of
merit.

It was interesting to me that the projects tended to cluster around
5 different realms:
      - teaching electronics
      - teaching biology
      - teaching reading / arithmetic
      - teaching music
      - a general tool for students and teachers to interact

There were several people slated to "judge" the completed entries,
and choose the three finalists we collectively thought were the
coolest.  This was not easy!!  For one thing, most of the projects
were incredibly cool!  And for another, 27 groups of people doing 27
different projects create a lot of documentation to check out!  But,
we all did it.  And we somehow came up with three finalists who will
be flown out to the Maker Faire (in less than two weeks from now!)!

Before I list the three finalists, let me say that this Challenge
really is not about "winning".  We are all winners here.  Each
hackerspace has received $900 from complete strangers to get
together and create a project you think are cool.  And each space has
created a project that will help other people through education.

There's no way to know, but it seems likely to me that the work and
play you have put in over the past 6 weeks will continue to help
you, your hackerspace, and others around the world in untold ways.

To me, this is just a taste of the kinds of things we can expect to
come out of the hackerspace movement when people get together and do
cool things!

As promised, each hackerspace who submitted a final proposal will be
receiving a care package of really nice goodies from element14,
including soldering stations and accessories to help your space teach
electronics, and copies of CadSoft's EAGLE, to help your space bring
your electronics ideas into reality.

Without further delay, here is the list of three finalists that our
panel of "judges" came up with (in alphabetical order, by
hackerspace name):
      * *BuildBrighton's Phonicubes*
/-- simple, fun, way for teaching kids to read/
      * *Hackerspace Charlotte's Feltronics*
/-- elegant, simple, easy to reproduce method for teaching electronics/
      * *Pumping Station: One's GGHC Biosensor Array*
/-- inexpensive way for teaching bio (which has too often been too
expensive)/

Congrats to everyone, and to these three hackerspaces.  All three of
these finalists' spaces will be receiving some way cool equipment.

And these three hackerspaces now have the challenge of choosing one
person to be flown to San Francisco to present their project at the
Bay Area Maker Faire!

I hope you can all come to the San Francisco Maker Faire that takes
place 21-May and 22-May at the San Mateo Faire Grounds.

The final event on the main stage of the Maker Faire will be an
event not to be missed.  Starting at 5:30pm on Sunday, 22-May, me
and the other "judges" will do our best to pick one out of the three
projects that these three hackerspaces created to help with
education.  Who will it be?

(And if you do make it to the Faire, please come by the Hardware
Hacking Area, where, with the help of 30 volunteers, I'll be
teaching about 3,000 people of all ages how to solder over the weekend.)

Thanks to everyone for participating!  Thanks to all the judges who
put hours into checking out all of the material -- Mitch Altman (that's
me),
Josh Meyer, Jeff Keyzer, and Michele Dawson.  Thanks to the hard-
working and diligent folks at Silver Fox for coordinating everything --
Ryan Miller, Paco Allen, Michael Martinez, Sally Stillman, Claire Burke,
Amanda Cooper and Mark Sanders.  And thanks to element14 for
providing the funds and the spark that made it all happen! -- Harriet
Green and Kevin Yapp.  Finally, thanks to TechSpray, Fluke, Tektronix,
and Agilent for donating the cool prizes!

All the best,
Mitch.