[Bio] [Tastebridge] New round of oyster mushrooms?

Roger H domitron at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 18:10:26 UTC 2011

I have 20+ more pounds of oyster spawn for you guys (i.e. the other half of it), which should be more than enough.  I again appologize for my own limited participation other than purely financial.  The main reason for that is simply that I live 50 minutes from Noisebridge and gas runs me $20 or so for a round trip to it.  Given the time and money of that drive, I simply cannot make it as often as I'd like.

Right now I am experimenting with grow of Panelous Stipticus, the bioluminescent species that I grew for my 2007 Burning Man Glowin Shrooms display with an oyster-like morphology, growing natively on dead, rotting hardwoods in very acidic environments.  I have an excellent vigorous pure culture of Stipticus thanks to my friend Issac who lives in Oakland and is wild about mushrooms.  The agar culture took off in the spinning liquid culture and colonized to a deep level very rapidly for the species (8 days).  I will be injecting that into three 13-pound sterilized bags (HUGE bags) that are full of hardwood sawdust, citric acid to bring the pH to ~3.9, peat moss for minerals that might be at the soil/wood interface where these often grow, vermiculite for moisture retention, and Spawn Mate Pro and SE, both for supplementation.  The result should be very brightly-glowing fruits on dull-glowing blocks of mycelium.  Also I plan on bringing one of
 the blocks to the Noisebridge but first want to make sure it is already fruiting.  I suspect this will take approximately a month to 6 weeks from today.

Roger