[Bio] [Tastebridge] New round of oyster mushrooms?

Rikke Rasmussen rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 18:30:14 UTC 2011

Roger, you of all people should not be apologizing for anything - none of
this would be possible without the time, energy, money and expertise that
you have contributed to this project! I hope I speak for everyone who's been
involved so far when I say that we are hugely grateful for your help, and
will be happy to see you at Noisebridge whenever you can make it.
Glow-in-dark mushrooms will be so cool, I can't wait to see them! I have
access to a handful of oak logs we could inoculate as well - though we would
obviously need to make dowels from the liquid culture first (or buy some).
Guess that's a long-term project, though, as the massive wood presumably
colonizes way slower?

By the way, I stopped by BTTR Ventures last week and spoke briefly with one
of the owners, saw their operation and an invitation to come back anytime,
so perhaps we could organize a field trip if people are interested?

Look forward to seeing a bunch of you tonight - will try to take notes for
those of you who can't make it, and try to find ways to accomodate
everyone's shifting schedules.

/Rikke

On Oct 3, 2011 11:10 AM, "Roger H" <domitron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have 20+ more pounds of oyster spawn for you guys (i.e. the other half
of it), which should be more than enough.  I again appologize for my own
limited participation other than purely financial.  The main reason for that
is simply that I live 50 minutes from Noisebridge and gas runs me $20 or so
for a round trip to it.  Given the time and money of that drive, I simply
cannot make it as often as I'd like.

> Right now I am experimenting with grow of Panelous Stipticus, the
bioluminescent species that I grew for my 2007 Burning Man Glowin Shrooms
display with an oyster-like morphology, growing natively on dead, rotting
hardwoods in very acidic environments.  I have an excellent vigorous pure
culture of Stipticus thanks to my friend Issac who lives in Oakland and is
wild about mushrooms.  The agar culture took off in the spinning liquid
culture and colonized to a deep level very rapidly for the species (8
days).  I will be injecting that into three 13-pound sterilized bags (HUGE
bags) that are full of hardwood sawdust, citric acid to bring the pH to
~3.9, peat moss for minerals that might be at the soil/wood interface where
these often grow, vermiculite for moisture retention, and Spawn Mate Pro and
SE, both for supplementation.  The result should be very brightly-glowing
fruits on dull-glowing blocks of mycelium.  Also I plan on bringing one of
> the blocks to the Noisebridge but first want to make sure it is already
fruiting.  I suspect this will take approximately a month to 6 weeks from
today.

tastebridge at lists.noisebridge.net>; Natalie C Underwood <
underwnc at clarkson.edu>; noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:40 AM
> Subject: Re: [Tastebridge] New round of oyster mushrooms?
>

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm thrilled to hear that there's so much continued support for this
project!

> It seems that Wednesday may not be the optimal night, however - would
either Mondays or Thursday work out for people (both work for me)?

> Perhaps we could have an initial planning meeting for the next run on
Monday?

> /Rikke
>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Matthew Downs <downs.matt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Rikke,
>>I would love to experiment with coffee grounds and other species of
mushroom, and I'd be happy to throw down for materials, etc.  I agree we
need to come up with some sort of operating plan.  I'd like to think 3-4+ of
us can share the leadership and the bounty.  Let's find a time to talk about
what works and plan the next phase.  Also, we probably need to go do some
tear down/clean-up in the mean time.

>>My schedule has changed a bit, and now I have classes on Wednesday
(Natalie also has some classes going).

rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>Hey peeps,
>>>

>>>Is anyone interested in setting up another run of oyster mushrooms,
perhaps experimenting with coffee grounds as substrate and getting the
humidifier automated?

>>>I would really love to do another run, but I definitely have not been
coming to Noisebridge nearly as much as I would like, so I also feel that
some discussion of our collective ability to maintain the project is
warranted. Roger has already said that he doesn't have the time to be the
main organizer on this project, and I'm coming to the same realization
regarding my own time commitment, so I was hoping that we could meet on
Wednesday around 8 as usual, and figure out some way to manage the operation
collectively?