[Bio] [Tastebridge] Mushroom update

Roger H domitron at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 21:17:22 UTC 2011

I just used my last bit of sawdust, but I will be getting some very soon.  In the meanwhile, of course, I have vermiculite, which is personally what I would recommend if I were trying to maximize the fruiting potential of sawdust and, probably, coffee grounds too.  While vermiculite doesn't provide any food for mushrooms like sawdust would, it is special in that it has the highest water retention capability of any commonly used amendment (saturation is at a whooping 84%!).  It holds all of that water without affecting the chemistry of the substrate and improving the looseness of the substrate (i.e. reducing density).  Even better, it holds the water tightly until it is needed, not drying out easily like uncolonized sawdust for example.  It basically acts like a sponge or water reservoir, which is a good thing since most of the time the limiting factor in keeping older blocks flushing is water (i.e. they just dry out and cannot be
 easily rehydrated because of the tight mycelium binding).

One thing about using vermiculite, though, is that the feel test becomes even more critical.  Why?  Because depending on how much is used, vermiculite can actually drive the appropriate water capacity for the substrate to a bit higher than without it.  For example normally a supplemented, sawdust-based substrate is prepared around 60 to 65% moisture content, but if a lot of vermiculite is in the mix, it might be better to shoot for 66% and maybe one could even get away with 68%!  And an experienced grower can feel it if that is the case.  The more you work with substrates, the more you know what to look for and how it should feel.  And vermiculite can easily change the overall feel by soaking up a lot more water (per dry weight) than other components of the substrate.

Roger