[Bio] [Tastebridge] Oyster Mushroom Status?

Roger H domitron at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 19:18:30 UTC 2011

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in my experience, the uncooked bags just starting to show colonization on top will almost certainly not completely colonize in the near future.  The reason the top colonized in the bacterially-contaminated bags is because the bacteria cannot tolerate the drier top surface thus the mycelium has an initial advantage there.  The bacteria blooming within the supplemented grounds, though, will prevent the core from colonizing and eventually either kill or halt all mycelium in the bag.  The mycelium, if it can hold on, might have a chance later to resume colonization but that chance would be months, not days, from now, enough time for the grounds to compost basically.  In the meanwhile, the stench of rotting Spawn Mate proteins will probably become unbearable during the fermenting and composting processes, so I suspect the bags will have to be ditched given they are in a kitchen area where most cannot bear
 such smells.

Since we did not supplement the grounds for the latest uncooked bags, they have a much better chance of colonizing than the previous bags because the bacterial bloom will be more limited in the lower-nitrogen environment, giving the mycelium some advantage.  And since the supplementation has not been limiting the yield so far because we haven't even gotten a real good four or five flushes after which nitrogen limitation can come into play, I also agree with you in doubting the lack of supplementation will make much difference in yield.

Just to put some perspective in what we are doing here, the normal course of substrate preparation is always either pasteurization or, less often, sterilization immediately prior to spawning in all com mushroom growing operations I have ever heard about or seen.  Although we had some success using Dr. Wayne's novel hydrogen peroxide techniques, as he himself admits, these have not been proven in any commercial operation (and I am betting there are good reasons for that).  If you guys are serious about turning out oyster mushrooms, on coffee grounds or otherwise, substrate heating immediately prior to spawning is probably going to be required because without it the gamble is very high.  Having said that, pressure cooking is not required for substrate pasteurization; there are other less-energy-intensive ways to heat the substrate hot and long enough for pasteurization.

Roger