[Bio] Is this group active at all?

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Tue Oct 22 07:53:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Joseph Cohen <josephmco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fascinating by things related to synthetic dna but generally looking for a
> primer to what's considered 'biohacking'

There currently is no such primer, but we are working on it. Counter
Culture Labs is where you want to be to get into this field outside of
academia/industry.

I recommend going to CCL meetings, signing up for the CCL mailing list and
signing up for the DIYbio mailing list. Get a molecular biology texbook
(half price books in berkeley often has them cheap, but older editions via
used books on amazon is also a good resource, also if you want to spend $0
then go to http://bookfi.org but reading huge PDFs on a monitor is really
not as great as having a physical textbook). If you want something concrete
and somewhat simple, find some cool iGEM projects and set yourself the goal
of figuring out how they were put together. Read paper's published by
Knight Lab, Church Lab and Endy Lab. Depending on your bio science foo,
reading those papers could be challenging, but it will get easier as you
keep trying.