[Noisebridge-board] Complete your Square account

Ani Niow v at oneletterwonder.com
Wed Nov 3 23:15:15 UTC 2010

 Disclaimer: Square employee here

All merchant accounts (which Square is) MUST verify the identity of the
person that will be signing up to accept credit cards. There's still a
person behind the business and that's what the identity verification is run
against. This is a US regulation (thanks Patriot Act!), not just a Square
one if you wish to accept credit cards. Try signing up for another merchant
account, you'll have to do the same.

For a business account (such as Noisebridge), all the finances will be tied
to the business and not the individual, the latter is simply asked to sign
up for identity verification.

I hope this addresses some concerns. If no one else will volunteer their
SSN, I certainly will.

Cheers,

-Ani