[Noisebridge-board] We should elect a secretary!!

Noisebridge Treasurer treasurer at noisebridge.net
Thu Apr 21 23:34:33 UTC 2011

I agree that is one of the secretary's duties. We probably have an
actual description of the secretary's duties in the bylaws, but I
figure that's just a suggestion.

I think it might actually be reasonable to make wiki pages outlining
the duties of the Treasurer and the Secretary. It's one way to get a
rough community consensus of what we're supposed to be doing.

Frankly I think that the treasurer's job is really easy to bloat up
and the secretary is really easy to blow off. And while I'm certainly
willing to keep treasuring for the duration of my term, I think that
the burnout potential for treasurer is really high. That could be
ameliorated by offloading some of the pseudo-financial bureaucracy on
the secretary.

For instance, here's some things that historical secretaries have handled:

-negotiating and purchasing/renewing our insurance (seth did this last)
-keeping track of membership (consensed/active/hiatus/etc) (I'm
currently doing this but Seth did it previously)
-manage corporate relationships like google's donation matching system
(Seth and David did this)

Danny, I think what matters is having a point of accountability.
You're welcome to delegate note-taking every single week as long as
you're accountable and reachable (within reason).

-Kelly