[Noisebridge-board] budget and fixed assets

Patrick Keys citizenkeys at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 09:23:09 UTC 2011

Income is cash inflows - dues and donations.
Expenses are cash outflows - rent, electricity, garbage fees, etc.

A good integrated accounting package will easily manage both and easily
generate an income statement on-the-fly.  I will check out the xeno
package later today.  As for assets, its simply a matter of deciding
what has monetary value, properly labeling it, and keeping track of all
that in a spreadsheet.

Another concern is the limited ways to get money into the noisebridge
bank account and, yes, getting money from it.  One idea that works:
There should perhaps be another, very small, bank account for expenses
that has a debit card that people here can use for legitimate day-to-day
expenses of Noisebridge (paper towels, light bulbs, laundry, etc).  If
that account only has a hundred bucks in it a month, then at least those
expenses can be consolidated and we can track those expenses using the
debit card rather than using cash.  People could pay for those expenses
themselves, which would be nice, but it would be better to have people
just donate cash instead, put the cash in the bank, and then use the
debit card to track the expenses.

In terms of large goals, it might be nice to have an official Noisevan
that we can use for Noisebridge fieldtrips and also use to take projects
to markets and fairs to show off.

Patrick