[Noisebridge-board] legal question from a new hackerspace

John Cunningham jncunningham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:21:52 UTC 2012

Hello! I'm helping to start a new hackerspace down in the LA area and I
have a question about how you handle your non-profit status.

Say for example one of your members makes something and wants to sell it
for personal profit - does that affect the non-profit status of the
organization? If they provide their own materials and just use the space
and facilities? I don't mean large scale manufacturing, seems pretty clear
that's a no-go; more like individual projects they might sell online or at
a fair.

Do you ever sell projects as an organization? I'm hoping that if the
proceeds go only to help support the space (like w/ rent, utilities,
materials etc) then it could be done without affecting the non-profit
status.

I know you can't provide actual legal information, and I won't take any
answers you give as such; I'm just wondering if you all have dealt with
this topic and how you handle it :)

Thanks a bunch! Here's our website if you want to have a look:
http://maglaboratory.org/

John