[Noisebridge-board] fiscal sponsorship

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 18:19:46 UTC 2013

I have had connections with IAM for many years, and have longstanding
connection with their 'leader', who incidentally is the guy who I talked
into taking on sponsorship of that LED project.

I've run a small business or four, launched dozens of collaborative
projects, and admittedly haven't spent a lot of time going down the
nonprofit route, although each time I have done lots of reading, learning,
even attending workshops around business structures etc. My personal
feeling as an artist and organizer is that i'd like to make a profit, and I
don't usually take in enough money to need big tax breaks.

This particular project, oaktown hall, is being bootstrapped in such an
intrinsically anarchic and doocratic fashion that it seems like a good
culture fit with noisebridge.  The folks involved feel this way too.
Overall it would be a very different thing to seek a relationship with an
organization that had leaders, as well as more structure and infrastructure.

Nobody wants anyone to take on work they don't want to do.  Danny did offer
to meet with me... I don't even want to waste his time that far if folks
don't think the relationship is a good idea.

One of the reasons I got involved in the noisetor planning when that was
launching was to try and make sure there weren't any surprises later due to
the intricacies of fiscal sponsorship. It was probably more annoying to
folks than anything else to have me involved, since I wasn't doing the work
on the project myself, but ultimately I felt like I was able to contribute
to building a smooth process.

I am willing to do that again, with more actual involvement on my part
since i'd be bottomlining the project. I am aware that creating a new
financial hiccup would automatically impact the treasurer. I am interested
in working together with them to make sure this is at an acceptable level.

Thanks for sharing your research liz!

R.