[Noisebridge-board] [Noisebridge-announce] Board Meeting: Next Friday 2013-06-28

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Jun 18 12:56:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 01:55:39AM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:16:13PM -0700, Snail wrote:
> > I am not planning on attending at all. :P
> >
> > I was planning to not attend.
> >
> > And today I got a discuss list full of racist apologetics and creepers and
> > y'know what I'm still not going to attend.
> >
> > These are the days when all the terrible people on the mailing list are
> > really real people who are in the space, sometimes 24/7, and some of them
> > are actually dues-paying members.
> >
> > I stopped going to Noisebridge over a month ago because the space was
> > routinely full of people I wanted to avoid rather than people I wanted to
> > talk to and I got tired of fighting against it. I give up.
> >
> > There. That's your presidential speech.
>
> Pretty good speech, really.

I am getting pretty close to burn-out too, to be honest. I'm happy (and
should) closet myself away with the accounts and make all of that work
nicely, but I think we need to convene the membership and actually come
up with a plan.

Right now, the space is semi-functioning, but there's a *lot* of people
who really don't seem to be able to look after themselves, nor have a
way of making anything productive come out of their lives. A lot of the
very basic maintenance is done by people who need the space because they
need a roof over their heads, and a lot of the paying membership don't
visit or conduct any community work or basic services themselves. I
don't see either of those numbers changing in the right way as we go
along.

A few people have separately come up with the idea of closing the space
for a couple of weeks, resetting it and starting as afresh as we can.

I think we need to frame that as less a throwing out of people and more
of a bunch of new people coming to help look after and hack the space
again. I can help a bit (and will be around more after this week), but
I'm not the world's best completer-of-tasks, and am feeling a bit
personally useless to fix things right now.

Sorry to be a bummer :(

d.