[Caffeine] roast temperature logging, PID control

Alcides Gutierrez alcides888 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 21:21:51 UTC 2013

Im not really knowledgeable about circuits and such, but I'd sure be
interesting in purchasing a popcorn maker for the purpose of hacking and
making it my very own little coffee roaster.

Initially, I was going to start roasting with a wok but have heard of
uneven roasts occurring often. Was just beginning my popcorn maker research.

Please do keep me in the loop! :)

Alcides Gutierrez
http://e64.us
Hello,
One project I've been meaning to work on is modification of a popcorn
popper to log roast temperature, possibly control via Arduino & solid state
relay.

I was thinking of using a thermocouple + amp like the AD595 (
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/306), then I came across this well
developed open source Arduino shield for temperature monitoring and control
http://code.google.com/p/tc4-shield/ (You can buy PCBs via OSHPark, but you
have to order in multiples of 3, cost with parts ~$30 + arduino,
thermocouple and relay. http://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/dolZshm9)

Has anyone here built a project like this, or interested in having a hack
night this month? I suppose it is also applicable to other temperature
control / PID applications: espresso machine, reflow oven, etc.

- dana