[Chunky_bacon] my ruby project - hard drive backup

travis+ml-chunky-bacon at subspacefield.org travis+ml-chunky-bacon at subspacefield.org
Mon Dec 13 22:58:55 UTC 2010

http://www.subspacefield.org/security/hdb/

Been working on this a few months (off and on) to learn the ruby.

If anyone wants to see how a program evolves over time, I tried to write that up here:

http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/hdb_history.html

I was really shocked when I discovered that my object lookup for already-archived
files (to get a hash value) was actually slower than reading the files and computing
the hash, when the object database got to be several million.  Optimizing it involves
using a different, potentially less-flexible design, and so for now I've disabled
it.

There are several more-pressing issues, such as supporting an archive that
spans multiple removable HDDs.
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.