[Chunky_bacon] instance variables not inherited?

travis+ml-chunky-bacon at subspacefield.org travis+ml-chunky-bacon at subspacefield.org
Wed Jul 6 19:54:24 UTC 2011

So I'm confused.

I have a class, A, and a class B which subclasses from it.

In A's initializer, I set an instance variable foo.

In A's methods, I can access it very easily.

But in B's methods, if I try to access it, it's undefined.

What is the correct idiom for this?

Oh...

http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/tut_classes.html

I have to write an accessor.  Hmm.  Just letting you guys know, this
is kind of non-obvious, IMHO.  It makes sense to decouple from a parent
class's implementation, but many other OOPLs allow children to muck
about in the parent implementation as if it were their own.
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/ | Meijin ni joseki nashi
"Who wants flowers when you're dead?  Nobody." -- Catcher in the Rye