[cloud] first post?

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Thu Jun 25 19:15:56 UTC 2009

It sounds like what we have here is a seminar plus a project, or possibly
two projects -- although it seems to me that Jason's interests form a subset
of whatever project might come out of this group.

Maybe the next thing to do is have a sit-down and talk through what we're
interested in.  I'll be at Noisebridge tonight for a bit, if anybody wants
to drop in; otherwise we can set up another time?

--S

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/06/25 Ian <ian at slumbrparty.com>:
> > either i'm not subscribed to this list or its the first post.
>
>   You seem to be subscribed.
>
> > ...having a research oriented (read papers and discuss)
> > seminar with plans for implementing our own system or augment
> > an existing one (freenode, tor, etc) would be of great
> > interest to me. i dont want to turn this into a weekly class
> > where people who know what they're doing present and teach
> > others.
> > [...snip...]
>
>  My interests are very different from yours (and I think
>  everyone else's) -- I'm interested in distributed transactions
>  and the related areas of consistent routing, transaction
>  sharding, distributed locks and unique naming.
>
>  If we got a group together, I'd expect we'd all serve as a
>  sounding board for one another's ideas; however, I don't
>  expect anyone else to be interested in helping me write a
>  transaction commit system. What has brought us together is a
>  relatively vague recognition that we have distributed systems
>  as a common point of interest; I expect we'd need a few
>  meetings before subgroups of the initial group would gell into
>  coherent collaborations. In short, I don't think we should
>  start with any definite plans for collaboration. We should
>  start with a challenging paper.
>
> > i am willing to (co)-run this group if it is not going to be
> > just teaching other people stuff every week.
>
>   There will always be junior and senior members of every group.
>  I find in the formal methods reading group, for example, that
>  less proficient category theorists help the more senior
>  practitioners stay honest -- we talk about (and disagree
>  about) fundamentals that we might otherwise ignore.
>
>  That said, I agree that structuring the group as a class would
>  be less than ideal.
>
> --
> Jason Dusek

Shannon Lee