[Noisebridge-congress] re-entry to the US

Ben Rupert meowdip at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 17:45:10 UTC 2010

Hey, just thought I'd let everyone know that the new security requirements
since Dec. 25th say that passengers are no longer allowed carry on bags when
flying into the US from other countries.  You are only allowed a personal
item.  I've talked to a couple gate agents here in Canada where I've been
stuck for the past day.  They told me that the size of the personal item is
heavily dependent on the US security agent who screens you.  They told me
that I may not be allowed to carry my backpack which easily fits under a
seat.  Some have only been allowing a very small purse or laptop in a
sleeve.  Also it's not clear if they're patting down every single passenger
still or not.  Anyway I thought I would warn the people who are still in
Europe but returning in the next couple weeks.  If there is anything that
you absolutely must carry with you (such as medications), make sure you can
get it out easily and stuff it in a pocket, or put it there in the first
place.  Or better yet stay in a more sane country.

Ben