[Noisebridge-congress] I have never been to germany in the winter and would like very much to know how to not freeze balls

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Dec 21 06:12:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 09:45:05PM -0800, Christina Olson wrote:
> I've spent 2 years in San Francisco and I forgot what this "cold"
> thing is, as relates to garments and suchwhat.  Is this a
> long-underwear-and-8-sweaters kind of thing or just a few extra
> longsleeves?

Bring a warm coat, a warm hat (or at least headband/earmuffs), a warm
scarf, and warm gloves that will do well in snow.  I tend to wear long
underwear under my pants, and a wool sweater under my heavy winter coat,
when it's cold.

Unless you're sure the place you're staying is very well sealed, bring
warm socks or slippers for wearing around the house.  Many of the
apartments for rent in Berlin are older construction and can be drafty.

It can get fairly cold in Berlin in December, down to freezing or maybe
15 F if we're really lucky.

Looking at the forecast, it's going to be rainy and warmer (oh joy).
Highs of 40F lows of 29F.  I'd prefer snow.

Bring good winter boots!  Don't have to be uber insulated but something
more than thin leather (or plastic) is a good idea.  At least
water-resistant to ward off snow.  Sneakers are not your friends.

Be able to take off layers and open your coat -- the U-Bahn and the BCC
and stores will tend to be very well heated.

-andy