[Noisebridge-congress] I have never been to germany in the winter and would like very much to know how to not freeze balls

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 06:41:00 UTC 2011

when I was there, they had a heavy snow. Bring a top and bottom thermal
layer, a down jacket if you have it (or fleeces and wools if you dont) and
the afformentioned hat and gloves.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 09:45:05PM -0800, Christina Olson wrote:
> > I've spent 2 years in San Francisco and I forgot what this "cold"
> > thing is, as relates to garments and suchwhat.  Is this a
> > long-underwear-and-8-sweaters kind of thing or just a few extra
> > longsleeves?
>
> Bring a warm coat, a warm hat (or at least headband/earmuffs), a warm
> scarf, and warm gloves that will do well in snow.  I tend to wear long
> underwear under my pants, and a wool sweater under my heavy winter coat,
> when it's cold.
>
> Unless you're sure the place you're staying is very well sealed, bring
> warm socks or slippers for wearing around the house.  Many of the
> apartments for rent in Berlin are older construction and can be drafty.
>
> It can get fairly cold in Berlin in December, down to freezing or maybe
> 15 F if we're really lucky.
>
> Looking at the forecast, it's going to be rainy and warmer (oh joy).
> Highs of 40F lows of 29F.  I'd prefer snow.
>
> Bring good winter boots!  Don't have to be uber insulated but something
> more than thin leather (or plastic) is a good idea.  At least
> water-resistant to ward off snow.  Sneakers are not your friends.
>
> Be able to take off layers and open your coat -- the U-Bahn and the BCC
> and stores will tend to be very well heated.
>
> -andy

Ladycartoonist.com

a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein