[Noisebridge-congress] Norton's Obscure Phoggy Embassy - NOPE

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Jun 21 02:33:56 UTC 2015

Hi there everyone. So just want to chat real quick about a current issue.

The original plan as of Congress in December was for some sort of
village team up thing with the Queer Feminist Geek Hackers group. We
had a panel at Congress, chatted about this idea, said it sounded
good, etc. In registering our village, I marked down wanting to be
neighbors with the Queer village, and emailed out their mailing list
to let them know we're on the wiki and what not.

Shortly there after I got a couple of replies on the list stating that
they found the idea of using a proclaimed Emperor of the Imperial
Americas to title our village with not nice and against their
anti-colonial race-sensitive viewpoints, and that they wanted us to
change our name before being neighbors. Additionally they didn't like
the gay flag with the hacker symbol in the corner (though I think most
people missed that).

Anyhow, hearing this is a little saddening and I feel like much of the
point of Norton has gotten lost in translation. I'm also a little
upset they brought up the shooting in South Caroline in regards to us
being insensitive with our "Joking about imperialism by playful
re-enactment."

I've sent them an apologetic but here's some context for you reply and
am hopeful that we can some how work out our differences. At this time
I'm going to remove them from our neighbors tag thing on the Camp wiki
until as such happens.

If folks want to talk about this more with me I'm happy to do so
offline, as I'm honestly really burnt out by writing the last reply
back to them regarding all this.

Thanks.

--
Rubin