[Noisebridge-congress] Stuff in our Village

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 17:38:36 UTC 2015

how about some yurts?

I recommend against domes and if you want to build something look at a
zome with a wide base like the one i've linked below  [1]. Standard
domes do not have as much human usable area or design flexibility as
zomes. The strong side curves of domes creates unusable spaces. They
are quite strong, but zomes can be made just as strong with
triangulations (the zome in [1] has no horizontal beams, so would not
be climbable when built standard lightweight struts, but would still
serve as a shade structure).

Although the tower of consenso also wastes vertical space that was
only reclaimed with the later design of cnc platforms and a 30 hour
pin 3d printed duck [2], the zome class of structures has other
benefits.  They can be merged or overlapped with each other without
losing structural strength, unlike classic domes [3].

The building concepts are the same for each structrure type though,
building EMT(electrical metallic tubing aka galvanized 'conduit')
[zd]omes from scratch is tough work.

However in Europe? Not sure if they use the cheap EMT we use over
there, so it might be even more of an uphill hands on climb.

The tower of consenso took a couple days of design, a couple days of
metal work labor for fabrication, and (currently) takes a half day for
each build, providing we have an impact driver on hand.[4]

The following people can attest to the stories: 2 days cutting and
arbor pressing ends with 2 large presses to fabricate the device,
difficult transport times, load and unload nightmares

ckp the original designer, [0]
yours truly
dr. nic ( [3.5] ), fabricator and assembler
alaric fabricator and first build fore
snail fabrication and build
yesac fabrication and build
there are many more folks that helped with fabrication that I've left
off. Many who help build the tower when it goes up as well.

To sum:  consider a zome design. For materials, use plastic struts
with straight cut ends and use peter pearce inspired space frame
joints [5] [6].  Build light and easy and design for later expansion.

[0] http://shadowfolds.com
[1] http://geo-dome.co.uk/cumbria/Photos/zome_design1.jpg
[2] https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uLvJ9o6ja-0/VA_igN56zHI/AAAAAAAABe4/MREZZpyDcGM/w426-h240/14%2B-%2B1
[3] http://zomadic.com/zonotopia_2011_spiral.jpg