[CQ] Fwd: Bay-Net repeater system meeting and training session

Greg Albrecht gba at gregalbrecht.com
Mon Nov 23 23:07:02 UTC 2009

________________________________

From: George Zaf [mailto:george.zaff at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:32 AM
Subject: Bay-Net repeater system meeting and training session

Hi everyone,

We have zeroed in on Monday December 28 from 2-5 PM as the time for
the Bay-Net meeting.  We will either meet at the Foster City fire
station training facility or the San Mateo Red Cross office depending
on room availability.  We will let you know where as we get closer via
the Bay-Net mailing list.  This meeting is open to all radio amateurs.
 Feel free to invite anyone you think could benefit from the training.

Agenda
----------
Bay-Net system overview - George Zafiropoulos - KJ6VU
Repeater system overview and demo
Bay-Net org
User control codes
Using Echolink and IRLP VOIP services
Using the system for planned events
System availability protocol for real emergency situations
Introduction to the Cactus Intertie - the worlds largest linked repeater network

Red Cross use of Bay-Net - Peter Sheerin - K6WEB

Orinda ARES team use of Bay-Net - Marty Heyman - W6MDH

Cactus Intertie
---------------------
After the Bay-Net meeting we will have a training session for control
operators and new Cactus Intertie system members.
What is the connection between the Cactus Intertie and Bay-Net?
The Bay-Net system was originally part of the Cactus Intertie
(www.cactus-intertie.org).  Cactus is a group of affiliated repeater
systems that covers the south western US including California,
Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, and satellite coverage in
Washington DC, Oregon, Mondana, and Colorado.  The Cactus group in our
area is the Northern California Cactus Radio Association or NCCRA
(www.nccra.us).  A few years ago, we had multiple repeaters covering
the bay area and decided to split off two repeaters and run them as an
open system for the benefit of the amateur raido community and for the
express use of public service activities in particular.  Thus Bay-Net
was born.  With a single command we can connect Bay-Net to the Cactus
intertie in times of emergency and use Private Cactus system repeaters
as backup systems providing extended coverage.

Although NCCRA is a private, member sponosred system, we are VERY open
to new members.  If you are interested in membership in NCCRA, let me
know and we can talk about it.  The kind of hams active in emergency
comms are typically a very good fit for Cactus.  We ask for an annual
membership dues/donation of $100 to keep the system running.  As a
member you have complete control operator priviladges and the ability
to use any of the nearly 200 private repeaters in the network.  If you
are interested send me an email.  If you want to join up, we will
cover Cactus system operation after the Bay-Net meeting.

Email List Membership

If you have any suggestions of topics or questions that you would like
covered in the training session, please email me with your questions
and ideas.  No question is too simple or basic.

You should bring your HT radio and a notebook with you.

'73 and see you in a month.
George Zafiropoulos - KJ6VU
Bay-Net
Northern California Cactus Radio Assn.