[CQ] A rig at 2169?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Nov 29 23:59:54 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Josh Myer's message of Sun Nov 29 15:32:11 -0800 2009:
> Awesome!
>
> I might have to swing by to see this; is it still up?

I took it down while the knot workshop is being filmed. The whitenoise
was getting in the way.

It's still here on my shelf, so we can toss the wire back up pretty
quickly.

> It'd be great to get a rig up full-time at 2169; does anyone have
> recommendations for something smallish/affordable?  QRP (read: really low
> power, tuna-can sorts of transceivers) seems sort of like the way to go,
> entirely from a cost perspective, and it sounds like we can run SSB on it
> with some tweaking.

Of course, this is highly depending on how much you want to spend. I
like the FT-817 for a QRP, battery-powered rig for many modes.

FT-897D is nice, more expensive, but more of a QRO rig.

Elecraft makes good products on the kit front. Relatively inexpensive,
and DIY to boot.

--j