[CQ] HF Antenna

Joachim Pedersen joachimp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 21:43:44 UTC 2009

> Anyone have any recommendations or know what the politics of installing
> things on the roof is? Could we install a wire antenna that covers most
> of it?
In general San Francisco is very restrictive when it comes to adding
large things to the roofs of building that extend significantly higher
than the roof line.

That being said, Ham radio operators occupy a special gray area
because of the whole last line of defense/ham radio save world thing.
Basically it is my understanding that the city is supposed to be
*nice* to us within reason, as long as we arn't causing
interference... etc etc...
IF we wanted to go with anything decently big, it would look better if
NB-CQ got cozy with our local NERT team...

This is a known issue, read more here:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=prb-1&id=amateur&page=4

On a side note, I have a six foot dual band 2m/70 vertical on my 3
story apartment building roof that is just above the roof line. I was
able to get my landlord to approve a few years back after I did all
the wind loading calculations. No one has ever complained, but I only
ever transmit at decently high power(>5W) late at night...

-Joachim