[CQ] Linux software to program icom radios

Bill Paul wpaul at windriver.com
Sat Jun 12 23:47:40 UTC 2010

> I sent this message from the wrong account (not subscribed to the list).
> So hopefully it doesn't make it through twice.

> I just saw an article from LJ that was talking about an opensource linux
> program to program icom radios.

> http://chirp.danplanet.com/
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/chirp-–-first-look

> I don't own an icom myself, but it is a real pain in the ass that there
> is only windows software to program the radio I do have. It won't even
> run under wine.

> If anyone does or has tried this program let me know how it goes. I am
> looking for a mobile rig and if I can find one that can be programmed
> from linux, it might make a difference.

> B.

I'm assuming you mean VHF/UHF mobile rig. (Hey, some people like to operate HF
mobile. Gotta ask. :)

The only suggestion I can make is that my Kenwood TH-F6A tri-band HT can be
programmed from pretty much anything. Someone went to the trouble of
reverse-engineering the entire protocol that it uses and posted it online:

http://www.k6may.com/Downloads/THF6.pdf

The protocol is all text-based. Assuming you have the right cable for it, you
just need a serial port to access it. I ended up writing some kermit scripts
to load/dump the channel database from my laptop.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Member of Technical Staff,
                 wpaul at windriver.com | Master of Unix-Fu - Wind River Systems