[CQ] Cheap SDRs?

AF6MQ af6mq at 1sky.com
Mon Nov 15 00:15:58 UTC 2010

most Software Defined Radios send the I and Q signals to the L,R
channels
of a sound card.  basically, you tap into the radios IF stage,
downconvert to match audio frequency that sound card can "hear",
then run software that FFT/RDS/etc on those signals.
works fine in reverse too as long as your sound card has
a decent bit-resolution.  thats pretty much how the Soft66
all the way up to the FlexRadio do it.

plenty of free software to do IQ, and even more commercial stuff
with direction finding, noice hum removal algos, etc.

this could be done with any radio that has a discrete IF stage.

if you can find a simple FM transistor radio that will tune the band
you want,
you might be able to find an IF stage and tap it.
work your way backwards from the audio amp circuit with an oscilloscope.

heres the geek on IQ,
http://www.sdrforum.org/pages/sdr05/2.2%20Comm%20Theory%202/2.2-01%
20harris%20et%20al.pdf

and heres a guy who did it himself,