[CQ] Cheap SDRs?

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Nov 15 02:25:50 UTC 2010

On 11/14/2010 04:05 PM, Michael Shiloh wrote:
 > Sounds very interesting. Can you point at any links so I can learn more?

Start on the ARRL page at http://www.arrl.org/software-defined-radio
Then look over http://tapr.org/ and http://gnuradio.org/

The best sound card to use works at 24 bits x 96 kilo samples per
second, these are marketed as professional audio cards. 16-bit ones work OK.

Some schemes use one signal, some use I and Q. I and Q are just two
demodulated signals 90 degrees out of phase of each other. Using them
allows you to get the higher resolution of both DACs combined, rather
than just one DAC.

Thanks

Bruce