[CQ] Cheap SDRs?

AF6MQ af6mq at 1sky.com
Wed Nov 24 23:50:31 UTC 2010

thanks Josh,
i think i came to about the same ballpark as you.

so, since i already have an icom pcr-1000,
i'm going to build, buy, or mod, a 10mhz->12khz IQ downconverter,
tap into the 1st IF, and play from there.

that will give me at least a SDR receive to play with.

i love my pcr-1000.  got it new back in '96.
can be found on ebay and eham.net and qrz occasionally,
for about the same $300 they went for originally.
IMHO, best $300 hf-1300mhz front end ever.

if that goes well, i'll try tapping my old ft-757 for rx,
and then for tx.  (or maybee not).

i'm also going to try and get an Si570 chip,
and any other DSS/clockgen chips i can find to play with.
i wonder what i can do with a fast mcu w/ pwm and a clock
multiplier.....

i want to learn fpga before i go into the usrb route.

--gaspo.