[CQ] HSMM Testing on the 18th?

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Mon Sep 13 22:26:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> Per https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/HInternet#Meetings, there's a
> long-range HSMM test planned between Ace Monster Toys and the
> Embarcadero.
>
> Is there station equipment, operators, and an Embarcadero location
> already planned for this?
> I'm looking at the map, and there aren't many nice shots from AMT to
> SF along the Embarcadero.

After the last round of meetings this weekend, it might be possible
for one of the clubs to help us use a tower in Alameda for one end of
the test.  Here's what the SF skyline looks like from it:

  http://i56.tinypic.com/154apmu.png

Noisebridge is just to the right of Potrero hill in the left side of
the picture.

> I have an 802.11b/g/a radio setup that supports 802.11s, and has a
> female N connector, and I'd be happy to run it on Saturday.

Great!  I'll give you a call Friday night once I have plans nailed
down a bit more.

> There are several 2.4Ghz dishes/feedhorns at Noisebridge, but none
> that are marked as 2.4 Ghz have an N connector. There is one feedhorn
> that is unmarked and *has* an N-connector, but I don't know what
> frequencies it's made for.
>
> Any good ideas for testing it? One very rough idea I had was to scan
> for AP beacons in a couple directions at 2.4 and 5ghz, plug them into
> Skyhook, and see at which band I can hear further with :)

That's not a bad idea.  The main thing I wanted to do was to document
exactly what the noise level is like in the part 97 specific HSMM
frequencies, and compare it to the shared part 15 frequencies.  I also
wanted to start a configuration setting database for the equipment
involved.