[CQ] HSMM Testing on the 18th?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Sep 13 22:37:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:
> After the last round of meetings this weekend, it might be possible
> for one of the clubs to help us use a tower in Alameda for one end of
> the test.  Here's what the SF skyline looks like from it:
>
>  http://i56.tinypic.com/154apmu.png
>
> Noisebridge is just to the right of Potrero hill in the left side of
> the picture.

Looks really nice! That has a pretty clear view. Do you think it can
see the noisebridge roof from there? :)

> Great!  I'll give you a call Friday night once I have plans nailed
> down a bit more.

Sounds good to me. I'm thinking it would be fitting to coordinate over
VHF/NFM on Saturday.

> That's not a bad idea.  The main thing I wanted to do was to document
> exactly what the noise level is like in the part 97 specific HSMM
> frequencies, and compare it to the shared part 15 frequencies.

The more I look at this, the more I'm starting to realize a spectrum
analyzer would be really helpful here. I'm thinking about buying one
of these: http://ubnt.com/airview since they're cheap, but don't cover
2300 MHz - 2398 MHz.

> I also
> wanted to start a configuration setting database for the equipment
> involved.

I've been trying to get an understanding of the Linux wireless /
mac80211 regulatory domain stuff. It seems like we should be able to
make our own regulatory database, but I'm still not sure about how to
map new frequency ranges after modifying equipment.

I listed some really basic 802.11s config here:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/HInternet/TR2

Cheers,
jof