[CQ] Introduction

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Thu Sep 30 07:20:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:12 PM, AF6MQ <af6mq at 1sky.com> wrote:
> i also recently joined the list,
> thanks for the lead Sean,
>
> i'm Scott Gasparian,
> i go by "gaspo" most times, AF6MQ on the air.
> i now mostly do a little 40mSSB,
> noontime net 7.2685 regular,
> getting faster on the cw.
> did a lot of packet back in '95,
> still have a kamplus needs new cable,
> and recently did ISS qso for my local elementary kids.
>

> i live up near Point Arena on the mendocino coast.
> i can hit WA6TOW on Mt. Montara, the "Pacifica" repeater.
> also, http://carlaradio.net  uhf node #3 i can do from here.
> might have contact with owner of carlanet,
> they've been refurbing the old longhaul microwave sites,
> cover most of norcal now pretty seamless,
> and might be down for some tower sharing arrangements.
>
> i've got a pair of linksys  wap54g (v3.04cisco now) units i can re-
> purpose,
> already single-ported and bias-bumped one of them so far so good.
> are they worth bothering with?
> or what would be the _one best unit_ to scrounge around for?
> i can do coax/pigtails/anycombo and smd rework, so those not an issue.
>
> i've also got a nice MFJ 2.4ghz yagi,
> and plenty of dish-tennas i can re-purpose,
> did a few 7 mile regular wifi shots with those.
>
> i only get down to the bay maybee 1 or 2 a month,
> but really wanna have a internet without an "killswitch" !!!
>
> so, "hi",
> where do i start?
> how can i help?
> no money, but time and skillz aplenty!

I'm recommending that people use 5 GHz to connect with each other,
simply because there's more part 97 bandwidth available to those
devices.

That being said, if any two people want to use WRTs to talk to each
other, they're more than welcome to link into the larger backbone if
we can find gear to talk to them with.

The cheaper Ubiquiti gear is only like $40, so even with no money
getting one of those might be a better option (and will be centered in
the band, not half in half out like a recrystalled WRT is.)

To start with, you probably want to read the reference material linked
to from the wiki and get a hold of the guy from Sonoma county I
pointed you at.