[CQ] Elmer day for some midwives?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Mon Mar 14 03:40:10 UTC 2011

tl;dr: Please help teach some ticketed midwives how to use their HTs to
coordinate in case of disaster.  Ping me if you want to be involved, and
we'll coordinate off-list.

We had our baby at home, with a midwife.  Things went great, etc, but they
need to have two midwives at every birth: if something goes wrong with both
mom and the baby... ugly triage situation.  Of course, births aren't exactly
planned, so they need to do a lot of ad-hoc coordination.  These women still
carry pagers, because They Will Work.

Except when they don't.  Babies will be born after big earthquakes, when
it's hard to get around town to ensure you have two midwives on hand.  And
the hospitals will likely be packed, so they consider this situation
particularly important. Many of them have their tickets, and little HTs, but
they're not confident using them.  They just don't know how to work
repeaters, what process/protocol is for using the radios, etc.  Our midwife
specifically asked if I could "be their Elmer."  So they're not totally out
of the loop.  Naomi bumped into another midwife at a cafe, who asked about
the Elmer day.

I'd love to do this for them, but, honestly, I'm not confident enough.  It
seems like this is Important, and I should ask for help from real Elmers.
 Would anyone here be willing to help run a small Elmer session?

Alternately, what's the right organization in town to ask about this?  AERO?
 Red Cross?

Thanks so much, this is one of those things that amateur radio exists for!

73 KJ6ANM,
--
/jbm