[CQ] Elmer day for some midwives?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Mon Mar 14 23:37:33 UTC 2011

Oh, hey, that's great!  I'll pass that on.  I might stil set up an Elmer
session for just them, though, mostly as a way to help them with net
protocol and all that.

Thanks!

(Also, nice to hear from you again, we were both at the cram down at Oracle,
along with mct, KJ6AOD, now K3MCT.)
--
/jbm KJ6ANM

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Art Peel <artpeel at glowingthings.com> wrote:

> <http://www.sfarc.org/sfarnews.htm>http://www.sfarc.org/sfarnews.htm might
> be what you're looking for
>
> -- Art
> KJ6ANT
>

> On Mar 13, 2011, at 20:40, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:
>
> tl;dr: Please help teach some ticketed midwives how to use their HTs to
> coordinate in case of disaster.  Ping me if you want to be involved, and
> we'll coordinate off-list.
>
> We had our baby at home, with a midwife.  Things went great, etc, but they
> need to have two midwives at every birth: if something goes wrong with both
> mom and the baby... ugly triage situation.  Of course, births aren't exactly
> planned, so they need to do a lot of ad-hoc coordination.  These women still
> carry pagers, because They Will Work.
>
> Except when they don't.  Babies will be born after big earthquakes, when
> it's hard to get around town to ensure you have two midwives on hand.  And
> the hospitals will likely be packed, so they consider this situation
> particularly important. Many of them have their tickets, and little HTs, but
> they're not confident using them.  They just don't know how to work
> repeaters, what process/protocol is for using the radios, etc.  Our midwife
> specifically asked if I could "be their Elmer."  So they're not totally out
> of the loop.  Naomi bumped into another midwife at a cafe, who asked about
> the Elmer day.
>
> I'd love to do this for them, but, honestly, I'm not confident enough.  It
> seems like this is Important, and I should ask for help from real Elmers.
>  Would anyone here be willing to help run a small Elmer session?
>
> Alternately, what's the right organization in town to ask about this?
>  AERO?  Red Cross?
>
> Thanks so much, this is one of those things that amateur radio exists for!
>
> 73 KJ6ANM,
> --
> /jbm

Josh Myer 415.230.9791 <-- NOTE: New number!
 josh at joshisanerd.com