[CQ] New freescale parts

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Tue Mar 29 00:00:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:
> The e14 part, for curious people like
> myself: http://www.element-14.com/community/groups/xl-star
> If I'm reading this right, which I'm probably not, it looks like this ADC
> should be able to sample at something like 10MSps, and can probably actually
> pull out 3~4 MSps with filtering.  It might be possible to directly sample
> AM, and perhaps even the very bottom end of 160m CW if you're very, very
> clever (depending on your filter implementations, 1.8MHz is well past the
> Nyquist frequency).
> Alternately, put a mixer in front of it, have this thing running a VCO, and
> then use it for a pretty high-speed DAQ.  The USB module supports 12Mbps
> full-speed, though.  (Page 512, the block diagram "highlighting" the USB
> module, is quite special.  I love that the DCT artifacts make it look like a
> real highlighter.  An excellent use of medium, a master-stroke, really.)

There's something a little weird about this datasheet, yeah.  It gets
all the information across to the designer, but... it's like the
documentation group is being run by interns who are reinventing
datasheet conventions from first principles or something.

> Does anyone have a favorite quick and dirty mixer schematic?  I've been
> poking at the SA612A for some trivial lower frequency stuff, but haven't yet
> gotten my oscillators working (I haven't had time to do more than give it a
> first go).

There's some good stealable circuits in the microwave graduate
textbook I donated to the library.