[CQ] Basic questions from a newbie

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 15:29:21 UTC 2011

On 05/15/2011 10:56 PM, Bruce Perens wrote:

> If you want to make it work, build useful RF links between useful
> places. They should have enough fade margin to be reliable in bad
> weather and with interference as from other people using wifi. Get the
> experience with what works and what does not.

I've always thought that the practical solution would be to use whatever
physical layer is available and works: line of sight wifi, ax.25,
microwave, even phone and modem (yes!) when necessary.

<conspiracy fear rant, sort of>
My big fear is that net neutrality will fail, and the Internet will
become a pipe for delivering for-pay entertainment content. That's just
from a financial point of view. If you want to add information gathering
into the mix, it only gets worse. If We want to communicate openly and
freely, the only option is to set up an open and free network that is
not owned by or dependent on anyone. This would have been unimaginable
in the days of the Arpanet, when technology was much more expensive, and
perhaps more importantly, we hadn't yet become addicted to the Internet.
Now we have greater access to inexpensive technology (including the
aforementioned telephone and modem) as well as an appetite for free and
open communications.
</rant>

So, I support the work that Hinternet is doing. Whether or not it is the
best solution, it is another option to have in our kit, and the more
options we have, the more likely we are to succeed.

I welcome your comments and feedback.

Michael
KA6RCQ