[CQ] Basic questions from a newbie

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon May 16 17:33:11 UTC 2011

On 05/16/2011 09:33 AM, Daniel González Gasull wrote:
> You're talking to a newbie.  What does RF stand for?

Radio frequency. Although you are a newbie, it is not that much of a
reach for you to see how long a link you can create between wifi
devices, and then experiment with antennas, and then try to make
versions that are permanently mounted and provide permanent networking
facilities.
> I think that's a "nice to have", but not really necessary.  I want to
> have something that "just works", and then incrementally improve it.

Probably won't happen this time.

Regarding your questions, I've heard no evidence that there is a network
at all.

The problem with sharing your DSL is that DSL providers are capping
monthly bandwidth. ATT an Comcast already do. If you are lucky enough to
be closer to the telephone company office than I am you might be able to
get another DSL provider at a reasonable speed.

     Bruce