[CQ] Basic questions from a newbie

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon May 16 19:25:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:07:50PM -0700, Daniel González Gasull wrote:
> But I need a goal; someone or something to connect to.  Otherwise it's
> too lonely.
>
> Are there some existing mesh networks here in San Francisco?  In The
> Mission-Dolores area?

If you have line of sight to the Noisebridge roof, we have room for
another mast on the existing antenna mount.  There may even be a spare
mast already mounted, but I'm not sure if the project it was installed
for is still planning to use it.

The Noisebridge roof is not set up for general access (smoking,
gardening, etc) due to the limited access and the ease of damaging the
roof membrane with foot traffic, but we do have specific permission from
the landlords to access it for antenna installation so long as we are
very careful to avoid damaging its water integrity.

Rubin has been discussing a shared wireless mesh network.  CCing him.

Monkeybrains is installing quite a lot of wifi capacity for their
Mission / Bernal / Soma network.  They're commercial, but they are
definitely good guys.

-andy