[CQ] radio question

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Fri Mar 30 20:17:37 UTC 2012

(I'm going to reply from googling, but would love it if someone who
actually knows what's up can say something.)

FWIW, what you were doing in China was probably illegal just about anyplace
with laws.  But, you were in China, so it's easy to make a law/money
tradeoff . Good times.

Some quick googling suggests that, in India, CB is allowed without a
license up to 5W, but that the channels are actually allocated to uses.  In
particular, I came across a draft bandplan (in a word doc, so I'm not going
to link to it) that suggests several channels are devoted to "remote
control crane operation."  Because putting that smack in the middle of an
otherwise-free-for-all band is a great idea.

The best one-link summary is:

http://www.hamradio.in/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2412

One huge caveat: you're supposed to use WPC(India's FCC)-qualified radios.
 We have the same thing here: if a radio doesn't have an FCC sticker on it,
it's not allowed for use (and some people claim that's the case even if
there's a version of the same radio that does have FCC approval, even if
the only difference between the two was "This radio has now been tested by
the FCC.").  So long as your radio doesn't cause problems, people don't
seem to care, but that seems to be the FCC's MO. Not sure if WPC is as lax.
--
/jbm

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Arlen Abraham <arlen.abraham at gmail.com>wrote:

> Spelling is hard. Please see below.
>
> --a
>

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 17:36, Arlen Abraham <arlen.abraham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi MCT,
> >
> > I'm doing a job in India where it would be nice to have radios.
> >
> > For our last job in China, we bought some 400-470Mhz radios [1] that
> > worked fine, but the battery life was shit (maybe 4 hrs). Also what we
> > were doing was probably illegal under Chinese law.
> >
> > I did a little poking around, and it looks like CB is fair game [2],
> > but all the CB radios I could find were hugenormous. Do you know of
> > anything wearable that wouldn't get in the way?
> >
> > --a

Josh Myer 415.230.9791
 josh at joshisanerd.com