[CQ] Help needed to debug FM transmitter.

Sriram Srinivasan sriram at malhar.net
Thu Jul 4 02:42:49 UTC 2013

(The kind folks at NB-discuss asked me to cross post here as well)

Hello all,

I am new to electronics and I put together this FM transmitter kit from Jameco.
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_151239_-1

It doesn't work, and I would love to know why. I was wondering if someone can give the circuit a once-over, tell me about my soldering, and teach me about cool debugging methods.

I have a 100MHz oscilloscope (Rigol 1102e), and it seems like the transmitter is producing a carrier whose frequency seems to vary a fair bit (96-102 MHz). Given my oscilloscope knowledge, or lack thereof, I'm not sure if this is a problem for an oscilloscope that's working at the limits of its range.

Thanks much.

--sriram.