[CQ] city antennas

Drew Smith drew at riotnrrd.com
Sat Jul 27 17:53:51 UTC 2013

Hey Noisebridge,

I'm new to the city, having moved from my live-aboard cruising trimaran in Mexico to take a job at a startup and save some money - we're hoping to circumnavigate, but the whole 'working over the internet' thing sucks when the internet is a scarce commodity. So, two or three years here, then I'm out.

I brought the boat ham radio though, and a tuner and a power supply. I live in a three-story apartment building in the lower Haight, I'm on the ground floor but I have easy roof access and judging by the rest of the complex nobody complains about wires running up to the roof.

My *only* experience with ham radio antennas is tuning a backstay on a sailboat, and maybe a bit of handheld stuff. The roof is wide and flat, and there are wires strewn across it - I *might* be able to get away with a short mast, but honestly I have zero experience with this stuff, so please, with any tips, explain the technology to me like I'm five years old. :)

My question to you folks is simpleā€¦ what is the best budget antenna rig to build in this situation, including feeding it from my tuner, out the window and up two stories to the roof?

(radio rig: Icom IC-7000, LDG AT-7000 tuner, Icom power supply)

Cheers,
- Drew.

--
Drew Smith (mux) <drew at riotnrrd.com>, VA7DSX / VE0TF