[CQ] EMERGENCY ‐ AMATEUR RADIO NEEDS YOUR HELP NOW!

Drew Smith drew at riotnrrd.com
Wed Jun 26 04:43:16 UTC 2013

Bruce,

I have a great deal of respect for you and your work, but I do not agree with this article.

The illegality of encryption is the single thing keeping a lot of networking nerds off the air and out of the hobby, and the idea of disclosing encryption keys to a loosely-defined 'governing body' completely circumvents the reason to have encryption in the first place. Security by obscurity is not security.

Everything in this article is based on fact, but the basic premise is one from before the global internet. If amateur radio is to survive at all, there needs to be some compromises made. Allowing unbridled encryption would be a very good start.

Cheers,
- Drew.

--
Drew Smith (mux) <drew at riotnrrd.com>, VA7DSX / VE0TF