[CQ] EMERGENCY ‐ AMATEUR RADIO NEEDS YOUR HELP NOW!

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Jun 26 06:03:35 UTC 2013

On 06/25/2013 10:28 PM, Josh Myer wrote:
> I'd like clarification on encryption for authorization (eg BBSes,
> remote email access, etc), and also some clarifications about HIPAA in
> EmComm.
The rule says no encryption "for the purpose of obscuring information".
So, a password or digital signature would be OK. It's possible to make a
system that authenticates every packet, yet doesn't hide the
information. Regarding HIPAA, we're not liable, and the hospitals and
doctors might not be in the case of a real emergency communication, but
they don't want to spend $5M defending themselves before they find out.
The wikipedia article on HIPAA is a good start, but the real HIPAA
document is so long that nobody will ever fully understand it.

     Bruce