[CQ] IF YOU'D LIKE HACKER RADIO TO EXIST, BE AT NB RADIO MTG TONIGHT 6-8PM. & RSVP. ONLY 3 WEEKS TILL FCC APPLICATION DEADLINE. TODOs.

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Oct 1 22:55:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 02:13:55PM -0700, Josh Myer wrote:
> Shouty subject line is the last straw.  Does anyone here actually want
> to hear about this project any more?  I'm contemplating the use of the
> mod bit or the banhammer, because it's off-topic for the amateur radio
> list (we don't generally do FM broadcast).
>
> List member opinions (on- or off-list) are solicited. Thanks in
> advance for y'all's feedback.

I castigated giovanni_re about the SHOUTING on the -announce post, and
he reposted with a less shouty version.  (Still too long, but whatever.)

So, I don't think that a banhammer is appropriate, CQ obviously is a
good place to reach out to RF expertise at NB, and so long as the
posting frequency stays down to a reasonable level I see no problem.

I doubt that Noisebridge is a good structure for a FM broadcast
enterprise, but I'm willing to be shown wrong.  I'd recommend that the
FM broadcast project request a project mailing list, since they'll
obviously need a lot of in-group communication that is not appropriate
for the -discuss nor the cq@ lists.

Bruce, you're probably not on -discuss (good move, I would say) so you
probably didn't see the coordination that happened there regarding a
spectrum survey and the currently-open-but-closing-soon licensing window
for public interest microstations.

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2013-September/039213.html

and other messages subject "radio" in the September archive.

(I think the radio project is perhaps 5% of the way to the amount of
work that's necessary to prepare a successful FCC application, and the
application is perhaps 5% of the work necessary to operate the station
successfully for one year, so it would require a *lot* more uptake for
me to think that the radio project might be a success.  Best of luck to
them, though.)

-andy