[Cyborg] SIGGRAPH Sense hacking

ch_luk at berkeley.edu ch_luk at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 7 06:02:58 UTC 2009

Hello!

  I just learned that the SIGGRAPH conference (on computer graphics and
interaction) is happening right now, and the focus this year is on
sensory interfacing with projects similar to the North Paw:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/contests_competitions/research_challenge/

The finalists are listed here:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/performances_special_events/research_challenge_results/index.php

  Other cool projects shown that don't really augment our senses, but blur
the distinction between human and machine in interfaces included these:

* A tactile hologram from the University of Tokyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-P1zZAcPuw&feature=player_embedded

* AmbiKraf - wearable technology based on thermochromic paint - from
Keio-NUS CUTE Center, Singapore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKCnCnpKMTo
  (omg! Love their website name -> http://www.cutecenter.org/)

Smiles,