[Cyborg] SIGGRAPH Sense hacking

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 15:47:17 UTC 2009

Wow, this stuff is awesome!  I'd love to try out the "cat" and "prey"
finalists.  Too bad the conference is all the way in New Orleans.

I think it'd be awesome if we built a rig which would be capable of
those kinds of transformations too.

I also checked out their "Student Research Competition" SRC finalists:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/performances_special_events/acm_src_final/index.php

One is titled: "Haptic Ring: Touching Virtual Creatures in Mixed-Reality
Environments", which sounds pretty darn cool.

On the "computational camera" page:
http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/sessions/technical_papers/details/?type=papers&id=52

There is paper about "Dark Flash Photography": "This camera-and-flash
system offers dazzle-free photography by hiding the flash in the
non-visible spectrum. A pair of images is captured, one using a
multi-spectral flash, the other using the dim ambient illumination. Then
the photos are combined to generate a high-quality output image."

I wonder if this could be "hacked" into a consumer-type digital camera?
  I'm thinking I have an old digital camera, and if we replaced the
flash with some superbright IR LEDs, we might be able to get really
interesting "dark" photos... even without changing the firmware of the
device.

Eric