[Cyborg] Feeling magnetism

quinn quinn at quinnnorton.com
Wed Jul 29 07:31:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:29:28 -0800, Jorgen Cederlof <jc at lysator.liu.se>
wrote:
> Hi cyborgs,
>
> I just read the comments to the Slashdot article about the compass
> belt:
>
>   http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/18/163223
>
> and some were pretty interesting. A lot of people have implanted small
> passive magnets in their fingertips, which makes them able to feel
> magnetic fields (and move metallic things). Examples:
>
>   http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/news/2006/06/71087
>   http://feelingwaves.blogspot.com/

Can I just say tee hee hee because I'm actually very immature?

> I like the fact that they are so low-tech and passive, but I wouldn't
> want anything implanted. Especially not something that would rip
> through my skin and break a multimillion dollar machine if I ever had
> to have an MRI. Some people seem to talk about using glue or gloves
> instead of surgery. That sounds like something worth exploring.

As I pointed out many times- it's not like anyone was going to sneak up on
me with an MRI. The surgery to get it removed so that I could eventually
get an MRI was fairly trivial, a CT works for almost all purposes nearly as
well, and it's not like a steel plate in your head. Even the worst case is
unlikely to kill you or destroy the machine.

quinn