[Cyborg] echolocation workshop

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 02:11:52 UTC 2009

Yea, the 2 week thing is a little concerning.  But hey, we're geniuses here right?

Having thought about it more, I am keen on an "echo location" kit.  Imagine some electronics which generates an ultra-sonic noise (40kHz? 60kHz?), then receives it (via normal microphone?), and then frequency shifts the sound back into human hearing range, and uses ear-buds to display it to you.  If the frequency shift is done correctly, you could even pre-process the sound data to help "amplify" the difference that close object bounces creates in the sound.  This leaves the real data processing to the brain, of course - it's still going to just be a bunch of sounds, not a map of what's around you.  But I actually think this could be way superior - who knows what kind of patterns your brain could pull out of the sound if you just wore the electronics for a week?

I have no idea how complicated the frequency shift math might be, but I think the electronics for this should be doable using Arduino-class hardware?

Anyway, it's a fairly major project, but I'm adding it to my "eventually" list.

Eric